Thursday, June 25, 2009

Baby wise philosophy

So I know Kaden is only 3 weeks, but I've been trying so
hard for the last week and 1/2 to establish his schedule.
I feel like I've done pretty good about getting him down
to a 2 1/2 to 3 hour schedule during the day, but then
like last night he finally fell asleep at 1, woke up at 4
then 6 then 7:30. I'm sitting with him now and he is
wide awake at 8:30. The night before last he went to
bed at 10:30, woke up at 1, 3, 5:30, 7:20! This can only
continue for a little bit longer before I go crazy. So, I'm
about to throw this baby wise nonsense out the window
and try something different, but I don't want to give up
too easily so I need some advice from you moms who
have done it and know what to do. Is he too little to let
him cry? He should at least be feeling full enough to last
3 hours at night, right? He is getting full feedings. He
may not be sucking as hard as he could be, but he's
got to be getting what he needs, well maybe not- who
knows at this point. It could be that I'm expecting too
much too soon. Just let me know would you?!!

8 comments:

mandy said...

I am so sorry! I love the newborn stage but the sleep deprivation stinks. I am a big believer in crying it out but not until 6 months. Maybe you should try only feeding him every 3 hours at night and soothing him another way in between times. Does he take a pacifier? Call me if you need help. (During daytime hours only! Haha.)

Holli said...

It gets easier Jana! I wish I had some better advice, this is terrible, but sometimes I would give a few ounces of formula at night, and they go a little longer, but, if you give them too much, your supply and demand system will get messed up. An ounce or two tends to help but I'm sure any pediatrician would cringe if they read this! It really helps you get a little more sleep though, I was getting 4-5 hours once I tried it!

Bryant Family said...

Hey Jana! I love baby wise, but since I've only done it with my one, I imagine it is probably more difficult each time. I love the baby wise blog- babywisemom.blogspot.com

She has a great index of posts and loads of great info. Hope it helps!
Sadie

Cheri said...

Hmmm, I don't know if you want my opinion. Ha. I personally think Baby Wise is aweful. Seriously, it was written by that wack job pseudo doctor that I really can't stand. That said, every baby is different. I personally don't do scheduals at all. I just watch what baby needs and don't even pay attention to the clock. I actually just made a post where I wrote a little about our sleeping/nursing arragement. But what we do is not for everyone.
In other words, I really wish I could help, but all I can do is tell you what we do and you have to decide if that will work for you. How unhelpful is that?

Shane and Amy Jo said...

I did babywise with my twins and it was great...but not until they were like 8-10 weeks old. I pushed the regular 3 hour...ish feedings really hard during the day and then tried to hold them off with binkies at night but they really didn't do the night thing on their own until they were closer to three months. Probably not what you wanted to hear! Hope you start having better nights SOON!!!!!

paulak said...

I did babywise with Kya and it worked great. But she was on formula, so I knew exactly how much she was getting. Do you do the eat, play, sleep routine? Three weeks is a bit young, but we didn't have a crier with her. Zander is a different story. Kya wasn't sleeping through the night until 5 weeks, but she didn't wake up that often at night ever. I guess I am not much help because Kya did it, but I really liked the philosophy of eat...play..then sleep. I hear ya about losing sleep...Zander is almost 5 months and I am very much ready for him to sleep all night. Hang in there, it can work, but if he is not a babywise baby, you could try "the happiest baby on the block". Different theory, might work better for little Kaden.

Bryant Family said...

I can second the Happiest Baby on the Block. Mercy has reflux, and the tricks we learned from Happiest Baby really helped calm her down when she was fussy. We kinda combined different parenting styles until we found a combo that fit us as a family.

Bree said...

I am with Cheri (Whoever she is) When I had Addi I got so sick of everyone telling me to do baby wise. I just fed her when she was hungry sometimes all the time other times were longer. Her doctor said they can't get in a habit until the are two months old. When she was about 2 1/2 months I let her cry it out and she was sleeping though the night in three days. Mind you at five months my milk got low and it turned into a big mess and I had to go to bottles, once she figured those out we were golden again. I think giving him a little formula is a good idea too I know a lot of people that did that in the first few months. I want to nurse all my kids but I really hate how you never know how much they got.

Twin Falls, Idaho